Anxiety mounts as players wait
Life is above everything and there is nothing more important than this. Security comes first and then everything else… if we remain alive, we will obviously be able play cricket again. The cricket board and the government will definitely take appropriate steps for everyone and they will take the decision after thinking about it.
Mehedi Hasan Miraz
All domestic and international events have been postponed as the entire country is now concerned about the outbreak of coronavirus, but there was a different scenario at the home of cricket in Mirpur till yesterday.
With the ongoing Bangabandhu Dhaka Premier League being postponed after the first round, there are a few players who are still waiting to learn whether they will remain in the camps of their respective clubs or return home.
The likes of Mehedi Hasan Miraz, Mustafizur Rahman, Mohammad Mithun, Ebadot Hossain and a few other players looked confused and concerned as news about the threat of coronavirus has kept popping up on their social media newsfeeds over the past few days with increasing intensity.
Cricketers who have been staying at the national academy dormitory are working on their fitness. But the players want a a clear message from the authorities about whether the league will start anytime soon or if they could leave, as staying away from home has increased their anxiety.
"Life is above everything and there is nothing more important than this. Security comes first and then everything else… if we remain alive, we will obviously be able play cricket again. The cricket board and the government will definitely take appropriate steps for everyone and they will take the decision after thinking about it," Mehedi told reporters at the Academy building in Mirpur yesterday.
On the other hand, although the DPL comes under the Bangladesh Cricket Board's (BCB's) purview, it is the Cricket Committee of Dhaka Metropolis (CCDM) that is actually responsible for taking decisions regarding the tournament.
From the clubs' point of view, they have already made payments to many cricketers and running the residential camps is also a matter of concern for them as they have to consider the financial aspect.
The clubs are yet to get any announcement or directive about when the league would resume and it was learned that the CCDM will have a meeting today about the current issue. According to sources close to developments, the decision about the league may follow the meeting.
According to the club officials they are ready to cooperate with any decision if it is taken by a majority, and they are waiting for a clear instruction.
"With the situation of the coronavirus [outbreak] developing, there is honestly a concern amongst the players. Many of them are saying it is better for them to leave if the league does not resume within the next 8-10 days. I understand the players and their families' anxiety but then again, we cannot simply take a decision until the BCB decides something. We are hoping the board will reach a decision soon and till then we have asked our players to remain on stand-by," said Mohammedan Sporting Club official Tariqul Islam Titu yesterday.
Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi club executive director Anwarul Iqbal also echoed the sentiment and said they would accept any decision from the BCB.
"Whatever the board decides is our decision. Playing in a tournament, we cannot take a decision on our own. Most of our players live in Dhaka and there are a few who are in club camps. All of us are waiting for a decision from the board," Anwarul told yesterday.